Coconut Grove Living
Coconut Grove lies between the undergraduate campus and the medical school. It has a lot of history as a city of Miami-Dade while maintaining a modern vibe in the Cocowalk area.
For those without a car, houses and apartments can be found within walking distance of Cocowalk. There’s even a continuously running shuttle to the Metrorail.
|Coconut Grove’s business and shopping district has a distinct ambience||Better to have a car (or roommate with a car) to get to school/metro|
|Great places nearby to eat and shop||US-1 traffic|
|Urban/suburban feel||Some less desirable, less safe areas.|
Living / Cost
- Generally small houses, townhouses, condos, apartments – no high rises
- Most buildings are a little older; some new places
- Less expensive than newer areas (like South Beach and Brickell)
- A car is highly recommended to get to/from school or the closest Metro station. However, there is a Coral Gables Trolley that goes to the Douglas Road Stations.
- Public transportation: Metro goes directly to school.
- Cocowalk (area of bars, restaurants, shops, etc.)
- Banks, gas stations, grocery stores, everything
- TONS of variety
- The water! (not the beach, but still beautiful).
- Parks to walk dogs, run, and play Friday night kickball.
- Lots of restaurants and places to shop
- Everything you could need
High energy area.
Relaxed, friendly neighborhood feel
Lots of residential streets for running, walking your dog/kids, etc.
Safe, but don’t walk around alone at night
Popular Coconut Grove Housing
Most students in the grove rent houses.
Some students also rent apartments.