Programs for Students Visiting the Miller School
Set in a bustling international city and inviting subtropical climate, the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine provides a variety of enriching programs for visiting practicing physicians, fellows, residents, medical students, graduate students, undergraduate students, and high school students:
- International medical students and physicians from Latin America and the Caribbean can apply for residencies and observerships through the William J. Harrington Medical Training Programs.
- Physicians and medical students outside the Latin American and Caribbean regions can apply for the Global Observership Program of the International Medicine Institute.
- Students enrolled in medical schools accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) who have completed all of their third-year clinical clerkships can apply for clinical externships at the Miller School/Jackson Memorial Hospital.
- Students enrolled in schools that are not accredited by the LCME can apply for clinical observerships at the Miller School/Jackson Memorial Hospital to observe rounds, follow residents and attending physicians, and attend departmental conferences.
- Minority and disadvantaged premedical undergraduate students can apply for the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) Preparation Program, offered in collaboration with the University of Miami Area Health Education Center (AHEC).
- Students who have completed two or three years of premedical undergraduate education can apply for the Minority Students Health Careers Motivation Program.
- There are many opportunities for minority students who are interested in medical school or biomedical careers, including the Bridge to the Baccalaureate Program, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Undergraduate Research Program, and the Initiative for Maximizing Student Development (IMSD) for undergraduate and graduate students.
- High school students can apply for programs including the Students Training in Research, High School Careers in Medicine Workshop, Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) High School Scholars, and other Community Outreach Programs.
For more information, please visit the Medical Education Department and submit the required documentation via the Visiting Student Applications Systems/AAMC (VSAS) .