M.D./M.S in Genomic Medicine
Be a part of the future of genomic and personalized medicine!
This 4-year concurrent master’s degree in Genomic Medicine will provide you with the background, knowledge, and understanding to integrate the ever expanding field of genomics into your practice. No matter which medical specialty you choose, genomic medicine is increasingly becoming an integral part of patient care with the use of predictive clinical sequencing, pharmacogenetics, and whole genome analysis.
Educational Mission of the MD/MS Program in Genomic Medicine
The educational mission of the program is to graduate clinicians with the ability to integrate genomic knowledge into their clinical practice. In collaboration with the Hussman Institute for Human Genomics, graduates will be trained in human genetics, family history, diagnostic genomic tests, high throughput sequencing, pharmacogenomics and the newest genomic concepts and approaches. The MD/MS degree will prepare students to be leaders in the adoption and integration of these methods in routine clinical care.
The MD/MS degree program in Genomic Medicine will provide:
• Both degrees obtained during 4 year MD degree
• Integrated and innovative training in both clinical and human genomics
• Self-directed online coursework coupled with in-person small group learning sessions for smooth integration into your schedule
• Hands-on experience analyzing and interpreting genome sequence data
• Capstone experience featuring clinical case descriptions, journal club, and individual research projects
Applying for the MD/MS Program in Genomic Medicine: Online Application
• Applicants must be accepted first year medical students in the UM Miller School of Medicine. The first block of MS courses begin in the 2nd academic semester of the first year.
• Application is due by November 1st each year.
• Academic prerequisites are the same as those for the regular MD program.
• Tuition is equal to UM Miller School of Medicine dual degree tuition .