Summer Mission 2012: Haiti
The educational mission of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine interdisciplinary MD/MPH dual degree program is to graduate physicians with the ability and desire to improve the health of all populations, especially those most vulnerable and underserved, by alleviating suffering and eliminating healthcare disparities through their leadership in patient care, research, education, health care administration and the community.
Four-Year MD-MPH Program:
The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine (UMMSM) MD/MPH program is unique in several ways. There are very few four-year MD/MPH dual degree programs offered at medical schools in the United States. Our program integrates significant components of the MPH coursework into the curriculum beginning in the first year and culminating in a required four-week clerkship in Public Health in the fourth year. In addition, the medical school has partnered with the Palm Beach County Health Department http://www.pbchd.com. This partnership provides opportunities to work with public health professionals in one of the country’s most academic and comprehensive public health departments.
The program is designed to provide graduates with the clinical and research skills required to approach health problems from a population and prevention perspective by integrating the roles of the biological sciences and clinical practice into the broader sets of knowledge and practices used in public health. We will graduate physicians who are provided the academic knowledge and skills, as well as the clinical experience to improve the health of all populations, especially those most vulnerable and underserved.
The MD/MPH dual degree program is an educational track at the UMMSM that will provide:
- Both degrees in four years
- Integrated and innovative training in both clinical medicine and public health
- In depth training in public health that provides the skills needed to reduce death and disability at the population level
- Two years of study at the Miami campus followed by two years at our regional medical campus in Palm Beach and Broward Counties working in our community teaching hospitals and clinics and with Department of Health professionals and faculty physicians in community settings
- Sustainable partnerships that provide opportunities to assess and improve public health, working with Public Health physicians and Preventive Medicine residents in clinical and public health activities during clinical rotations
- Opportunities for community-based research to complete the required special project for the MPH degree (capstone)