This proposal is based on several assumptions:
- Students will begin in the MD program;
- The program will be promoted to MD students in their first year of Medical School;
- Students will apply to Law School no later than January 1st of their second year of Medical School;
- Students must take the USMLE Step 1 exams between May and June of their second year of medical school;
- Students will complete the third year clinical psychiatry clerkship before enrolling in the law school in August of year 3;
- Students will be required to complete 77 credits of coursework (including law clinics, practicum, externships, and/or intersession courses) in the Law School with 11 credits being applied from coursework in the M.D. program.
|Fall||Spring||Summer (after yr)||Other||Law Credits||Notes|
|Year-1||MD courses||MD courses||Preferred time to take the LSAT|
|Year-2||MD courses, Apply to Law School. LSAT to be taken no later than Dec. test date.||MD courses, May-June is slotted for USMLE Step 1 exam||6 wks psychiatry (6/21-8/1)|
|Year-3|| Law courses.
| Law courses.
|5-6 credits (5/23-7/29)||2 wks vac (7/30-8/15)||37-38|
|Year-4||Law courses. 16-17 credits||Law courses. 16-17 credits||5-6 credits (5/23-7/29)||39-40|| Total for Years 3 and 4:
|Year-5||MD courses to begin in August (6 weeks into MD school year)||MD courses||11 credits from the MD pgm. in years 5 and 6 will count toward the JD degree credits.|
|Year-6||MD courses||MD courses|
Students complete the first two years of medical school curriculum, sit for USMLE Step 1 examination, and begin the third year MD curriculum (Transition to the Clerkships one-week course and the six-week Psychiatry clerkship, and then have a two-week vacation before beginning law studies in August of year three.
After completing the first year law curriculum, students take 5-6 law credits during summer session; they then have 2 weeks of vacation before starting their second year of law studies.
Students will take 16-17 credits each semester during their second year of law school. After completing second year law curriculum students will take 5-6 law credits during summer session following their second year. At the end of their second summer of Law School, each student must have completed a total of 77 JD credits at the Law School.