M.D. Program Curriculum
OSCI Clinical Skills Assessment, June 2015
The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine currently offers a complete four year medical curriculum at the Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital Medical Center campus in Miami.
The educational mission of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine is to graduate physicians with the ability and desire to improve the health of all populations by alleviating suffering and eliminating healthcare disparities through their leadership in patient care, research, education, health care administration and the community.
Institutional Objectives of the Educational Program
After completing the educational program for the MD degree, our graduates will demonstrate:
1. Biomedical and behavioral science knowledge appropriate for the practice of clinical medicine by all physicians
2. Clinical skills proficiency, including eliciting medical history, performing a complete physical exam, oral presentation and written documentation of patient cases, and basic technical procedures
3. Application of knowledge and skills to clinical decision-making and the practice of medicine, including formulating differential diagnoses, and a diagnostic and therapeutic plan
4. Preventive medicine and population health knowledge and skills, including the ability to identify persons/populations at risk for common and important health problems and to apply appropriate preventive measures, including screening, health education, and other forms of risk reduction.
5. Critical assessment of biomedical literature and evidence-based management of health problems
6. Self-directed, life-long learning skills, including the recognition of personal educational needs, use of appropriate learning resources and evaluation of progress
7. Professionalism, including the demonstration of responsibility, empathy, reflective practice, cultural humility and adherence to ethical principles
8. Communication skills with patients, families, colleagues, and healthcare personnel
9. Interprofessional skills as a collaborative member of the healthcare team
10. Understanding of the role and responsibility of a physician as a leader in the healthcare delivery system and in society.
After completing the educational program for the MD/MPH dual degree, our graduates will demonstrate:
An understanding of the integration between public health and medicine, identify and engage community partners in public health initiatives, and serve as leaders in the public health sector.